Er… that wasn’t quite right, but it all worked out well in the end

Apologies – the last news post contained a factual inaccuracy.  After reporting on the great win for the Watt in Liverpool and the success of two other Scottish universities on the same day, your correspondent linked the two events and reported that Watt was playing at Riccarton this evening against Edinburgh Napier University in the next round of the BUCS Trophy.  The first bit was right – Watt did play Napier at Riccarton this evening – but not in the BUCS Trophy.  Watt’s next game in that competition will be in the new year against the other winner named in the last report – Abertay Dundee University.  Tonight’s game was in the Queen’s Park Shield.

The game was a high-tempo affair with lots of good football produced by both sides.  Napier has a good side nowadays and they had many impressive performers, but the Watt team also played well, with Finn Watt and Jamie Hume solid at the centre of defence, Scott Davies enterprising and skilful until he began to tire and fade out of the game a bit and Sean Muhsin always apt to create that bit of magic in midfield.  Alex Snoddy also gave a fine performance at right back, always ready to charge up the wing on the overlap when the time was right.

There was no scoring in the first half, but Watt finally broke the deadlock after about twenty minutes of the second period, Elliot Sutherland firing home from a centre by Scott Davies, but with the Watt lads, perhaps wilting a bit after two games involving extra time in the previous five days, failed to press home their advantage and were caught by an equaliser with a couple of minutes to play.  No extra time on this occasion, though – it’s straight to penalties in the event of a draw in the QPS.  Watt went first in the shoot-out and when Jack Robinson made his second save at the sudden-death stage, Watt had won through to the next round.  Three wins in five days – heady days at Riccarton!

This Saturday, Watt’s East of Scotland side has its first home fixture for some time.  Having beaten Civil Service Strollers on Saturday past, Watt entertains Premier Division leaders Leith Athletic in the Third Round of the Image Printers’ East of Scotland Qualifying Cup.

The Under-20s will be in action before that, visiting East Kilbride on Friday evening in the League Cup Preliminary Round.

Heriot-Watt ‘A’ thrashed Edinburgh Academicals 7 – 1 last Saturday in the LEAFA Edinburgh Central Division, but stay in a mid-table fifth place out of nine, although just four points off the top of the table with two games in hand over leaders Craigroyston CYFC and three in hand over the second and third-placed teams.  For the ‘B’ team, it was another weekend of disappointment, but they’re getting closer – on this occasion, defeat at the hands of Ratho Athletic was by just four goals to three.  This Saturday, both of the Watt’s LEAFA sides are involved in the Third Round of the Logan Cup – the ‘A’ team has a tough tie away to Bathgate Thistle, currently fourth in the Lothian West Division with only one defeat in eight league games played; and the ‘B’ team a much tougher one – at home to Heriot Vale of Premier Division 1.  Not, perhaps, the most appealing game for a side searching for its first victory of the season.