Under-20s make us proud; Shippy make us struggle

Since the last news appeared on this site, a lot of football has been played.

The Under-20s played their big game on Friday evening, going in against top SPFL Development League side St Mirren at the Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie, in the Second Round of the Scottish Youth Cup. Saints currently sit in seventh place in the fourteen-team Development League and beat Heart of Midlothian 3 – 0 earlier this month, so that puts into perspective the Watt side’s utterly committed performance. Unfortunately, the Watt didn’t manage a goal (although Cammie Ross did hit the bar), but a 4 – 0 defeat by such opposition is absolutely no disgrace and the Watt officials and supporters were proud of the performance given by the team.

The following day, the First Team entertained Burntisland Shipyard at Riccarton in an East of Scotland League match and somehow escaped with the three points after failing properly to exploit the domination they had shown in the first half. Conceding a goal in the last minute of the half, Watt turned level at 1 – 1 and fell behind seven minutes into the second period. Two late goals rescued the day, with Mark McGovern grabbing the winner with just three minutes of normal time remaining, and although there was a massive scare for the Watt before the end when Owen Ferry‘s shot hit the bar and Scott Powrie headed the rebound past, Watt managed to see out the remaining time without conceding again.

The Reserves recorded another disappointing defeat, by five goals to one, away to Edinburgh Harps in their first League game of the season and it appears that the new line-up is taking some time to gel in LEAFA football.

And so to yesterday and the second Wednesday of BUCS competition for the season. After their disappointing draw with University of the West of Scotland First last week, the Watt Men’s Firsts clawed back 2 – 0 and 3 – 2 deficits before Adam Breen‘s last-minute winner in a thriller away to University of St Andrews First to go top of Division 2A; the Seconds followed last week’s win over University of Edinburgh Third with a creditable 3 – 3 away draw with University of Dundee First; and the Thirds sit proudly at the top of Division 5B after their second consecutive win, following up last week’s victory over University of Edinburgh Fifth by beating Edinburgh College First 1 – 0. The Watt’s Fourths, Fifths and Sixths all compete in Division 6B and although the Fourths have not yet started their fixtures, both Fifths and Sixths lost yesterday, the Fifths going down 4 – 2 at Peffermill to University of Edinburgh Sixth and the Sixths losing 3 – 0 away to West Lothian College First on the Livingston 3G.

Next week, the Women’s Firsts start their programme with a home game against City of Glasgow College First (kick-off 1.30). Two Men’s teams are in action in the Conference Plate: the Thirds, away to University of St Andrews Sixth (kick-off 2.00) and the Fifths, at home to Queen Margaret University First (kick-off 3.45).

Friday evening sees the Under-20s begin their League programme with an away game against Burntisland Shipyard (kick-off 8 o’clock). Shippy play their Under-20 games at New Central Park, Kelty, home of new East of Scotland League side Kelty Hearts, so the Watt officials and supporters will have a chance to have a look at the surroundings a few weeks before the First Team visits on the evening of Tuesday the 24th.

Then, on the following day, the First Team has a tough away League fixture against Stirling University at the Gannochy (kick-off 2.30) and the Reserves have another testing match, this time against Premier Division side St Bernards at Riccarton in the Second Round of the Centenary Cup (kick-off 2 o’clock).