Sizzling soccer to finish the season as Watt hold Camelon in high-scoring game

With his usual attacking options unavailable, Watt Head Coach Banji Koya turned to Reserve team captain Dan Potter on Saturday and played him up front for his first East of Scotland start against the formidable Camelon Juniors in the final East of Scotland League game of the season at Riccarton’s John Brydson Arena.  And how Dan responded, with a goal and an assist as Watt played out a 3 – 3 draw with their ex-Junior Superleague opponents.

The game started very badly for the Watt, with Alan Docherty and Connor McMullan giving the visitors a two-goal lead in the first five minutes of the game, but before half-time Potter’s pinpoint cross gave Ryan Higgins a chance to bring Watt back in touch with a header; then the stand-in striker scored the equaliser himself, driving in a left-foot shot after good work from Todd Teviotdale.

Dan went off injured soon after and made way for another player to make a name for himself.  After Alan Sneddon had put Camelon back in front, it was Dan’s replacement, Ronan Dowds, who gave the Watt a point from this strength-sapping game, sending a fierce drive past goalkeeper Michael Watson from Harry Barclay‘s superb pass.

After a spell in which the Reserves were going really well, the lads have found things tough in the last couple of weeks.  Puzzlingly, there’s still no result on the LEAFA website for the game against Edinburgh Star on the Saturday before last (13th April), but last Monday’s game against Linlithgow Rose brought a 1 – 0 defeat and Saturday’s Logan Cup Semi-final against Tollcross Thistle was a bridge too far for the Watt side.

The trouble with beating the top of the second tier in the Quarter-final is that you’re apt to run into a really good side in the Semi.  Thistle is top of the Premier Division for a reason and they were simply too good for the Watt team.  Heriot-Watt held out until eight minutes from half-time, but when Tollcross opened the scoring, the Watt cohesion disintegrated and the second half was one-way traffic, producing a final score of 8 – 0.

The Watt lads will console themselves with the thought that they won’t meet a side of that quality again this season.  Perhaps next time they can have their good run in one of the cups that isn’t open to every team in the LEAFA structure!

The Reserves’ difficult run continued tonight with another 1 – 0 defeat in their home game against Carluke Hearts.   The Watt will try to end its barren spell in front of goal on Saturday, but it’s another tough match – the return fixture with Linlithgow Rose (Linlithgow Sports Centre Xcite, kick-off 1.15).  On Monday, it’s back to the John Brydson for a home game against Mill AFC (kick-off 6.45).  When those games have been played, there will be only one more match for the Watt in this LEAFA season.

With this Friday’s fixture against Whitehill Welfare called off, the Under-20s will return to action at home to Cumbernauld Colts the following week (3rd of May) after a four-week hiatus.  An away match against Dunipace is due the following week (10th of May), leaving just the Whitehill game to be fitted in.