20s are back with a scintillating performance

After almost a month without a fixture, the Under-20 side was close to full strength last night (Friday 3rd), which was just as well, as opponents Cumbernauld Colts are no slouches and showed good movement and slick passing throughout the game.  The Watt was not to be denied, however.  With Ali Shrive and Todd Teviotdale back from First Team duty now the East of Scotland season is over for the Watt, and Aidan Quinn playing with imperious authority at the back, the Watt played some great football, winning 4 – 0 with goals from Ali Shrive, Aidan Quinn, Ethan Stevens and a shot from Euan Scott which was turned into his own goal by a Colts defender.

Next Friday, the 20s travel to Denny to take on Dunipace in the last away game of the season before finishing on the following Monday (13th May) at home to Whitehill Welfare.

The Reserves have two games still to play – both interesting games against the two sides immediately below them in the LEAFA Lothian West table.  There is no game today, but on Monday evening Bank of Scotland Strollers visit the John Brydson Arena (kick-off 7 0’clock); then the Watt side concludes its programme next Saturday with a visit to near neighbours Balerno Athletic (kick-off 2 o’clock).

The visit to Linlithgow last Saturday brought yet another narrow defeat, by two goals to one to high-flying Linlithgow Rose, but a plucky 4 – 3 victory over Mill AFC on Monday evening put the Watt side back on track.

Watt is currently in seventh place in the Lothian West Division table – exactly half-way.  Mill AFC is two points ahead, but has played a game fewer; Bank of Scotland Strollers is five points behind, but has played two games fewer; Balerno Athletic is three points further back with one game in hand.  Theoretically, both sides are still in with a chance of overhauling the Watt team, but they both have other tough fixtures to play in their remaining games and of course the Riccarton side has the chance to consolidate its position by its own efforts in its final two matches.